We won’t fall for panic buys insists Rodgers despite late collapse of Remy deal



Liverpool train at the Soldier Field stadium in Chicago Illinois as part of their pre-season tour of America. Brendan Rodgers watches on. Brendan Rodgers insists there will be no panic buying as he searches for a new striker after Loic Remy’s move to Liverpool FC collapsed.

The France international was expected to complete a £8.5million transfer from Queens Park Rangers after flying out to join Rodgers’ squad on their pre-season tour of America. However, the Reds pulled out of the deal at the eleventh hour due to medical concerns. Liverpool FC have refused to comment on the reasons why but MINORITY VOICE understands there is no chance of the move being resurrected.

With Daniel Sturridge, Rickie Lambert and Fabio Borini the club’s only senior frontmen, the manager is considering alternative targets. But the Reds are unlikely to renew their interest in Swansea City’s Wilfried Bony having previously been put off by the £20million fee and the Ivorian’s high wage demands.

“There are certain different areas where I want to bring in players, but they have to be the right type,” Rodgers said.

“There is money to spend, no question, but I won’t spend it for the sake of it. It has to be the right type. If that means I have to wait until January then that’s what I will do. The players at the moment are in great condition, they are working very well and very hard. I have seen the development in some of the young players but if the right ones become available we would like to do something because I still have a lot to do on that front. But if they’re not available, I will wait.”

Remy, who scored 14 goals on loan at Newcastle last season, flew to Boston last week after the Reds triggered the release clause in his contract. Newcastle United’s Loic Remy celebrates scoring Newcastle United’s Loic Remy celebrates scoring. The 27-year-old agreed personal terms and was set to be handed the iconic No 7 shirt left vacant following Luis Suarez’s move to Barcelona.

He underwent a series of medical tests with Anfield sources indicating there were no issues and he then went to New York with his wife after the club granted him a few days off. The delay in announcing the signing had been put down to a paperwork issue but Liverpool were in fact seeking a second opinion after concerns were raised over a scan. On the back of that advice the decision was taken not to proceed with the transfer.

It was the Reds’ second setback inside 48 hours following news that Adam Lallana will be out for up to six weeks with knee ligament damage. The £23million midfielder, who suffered the injury while training in Boston, travelled to Chicago for Sunday’s game against Olympiacos and will remain with the squad for the rest of the US tour.

“It’s very disappointing and he’s going to be out for four to six weeks,” Rodgers said.

“He had looked fantastic in training. It was an injury that he received in a simple drill with no pressure on him. He is staying – he wants to stick with the team for the rest of the tour. Last year if someone like Adam had gone down it would have really hurt us as the small was small. It’s unfortunate for him but thankfully at this stage of the season, where he has still got a good level of fitness, that means he can recover quicker.

“He won’t be too far away after the start of the season which is great news. This year is vital for us. You’re going to pick up injuries and we need to have the players who can step in and that’s what we are trying to build.”

Dejan Lovren, who has completed his £20million move from Southampton, is the Reds’ fifth summer signing following deals for Rickie Lambert, Emre Can, Lallana and Lazar Markovic.

The £10million transfer of Divock Origi from Lille has also been sorted and should be announced in the next 24 hours. He has signed a contract until 2019 but will spend the coming season on loan with the French outfit.

With Rodgers looking for two full-backs and striking cover there is more business to be done. His current crop may have surpassed all expectations en route to finishing second last season but the manager says a sizeable injection of new talent was required to ensure the club continues to progress.

Liverpool train at the Soldier Field stadium in Chicago Illinois as part of their pre-season tour of America – Brendan Rodgers addresses his squad Liverpool train at the Soldier Field stadium in Chicago Illinois as part of their pre-season tour of America – Brendan Rodgers addresses his squad.

“I have to bear in mind that these players took us to where we are but we can’t settle on that,” he said. We came second last year but our idea is to win and that’s why we need to have a squad to handle it and with the extra competition this year, we will need it too. That’s the simple fact of it.

“We have to keep moving. Success last year was getting into the Champions League and only just missing out on the league but we have to look to keep progressing each year. I think we have done that and I am really excited with the ones we have brought in with hopefully a few more to come. Then we will have a squad ready to compete on every front.”

Rodgers kept a settled side for most of last season but with the increased demands of Champions League football he says this term will be different. His players will have to get used to squad rotation. “The key for us is we are going to need every man in the squad this year,” he said. “It’s a season where we have to change the team at times to keep it fresh and dynamic.

“We need the legs in the team because we are a very attacking and creative side. We scored 101 goals last year so the key is that fearlessness in our play but also the physicality is important. The message I have given to the players is clear – we need to push on. They have the same excitement as me. We are not down because we missed out last year, we see it as having taken a big step forward.

Now we need to push on again and show we can be one of the top sides in European football. Borini, who has been stalling over a move to Sunderland, has flown back to the UK to have treatment on the shoulder injury he suffered against Roma in Boston.

Posted by on Jul 28 2014. Filed under Actualités, En Direct, Featured, Sports. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply


Air Mauritius - Financial Results for the 3rd Quarter of financial year 2016-17



Search Archive

Search by Date
Search by Category
Search with Google

Photo Gallery

Copyright © 2011-2016 Minority Voice. All rights reserved.